I've come to realize that everyone is just like me, trying to make it and live out their dreams one day at a time. What stands in the way of fulfilling those dreams? FEAR!
The only difference is some people have done a little better and they're a few steps ahead. I have to realize they weren't always where they currently are. We can soon be where they are now if we will apply these easy steps to eliminate fear.
What is the secret? How do we get rid of fear? What can we do to finally get where we want to be?
- Visualize where you want to be in life. If you don't know what it looks like you will never get there. Can you picture what that looks like in your mind? I want to be a public speaker on the national level. I can visualize speaking in front of thousands, headset mic and all.
- Write it down and read it daily. This is a must. This will allow you to have a constant reminder of what you are working towards.
- Find someone who is already there and duplicate what they are doing. (trust me, they exist, unless you want to live on Mars) This in no way suggest you should not be original, but rather suggest you should follow a proven plan of action with a proven result. Of course things will be different for you but you will get ideas you can implement on your own journey.
- Realize they are no better than you are. This is key because so many people feel they are unworthy of being in the place they dream about. They often feel it is too lofty of a goal to actually achieve. The “successful” people in your life that are living their dream still put their pants on one leg at a time. They may have nicer pants, but still…
- Pinpoint your area of weakness. Is it your age? Your intellect? Your location? Whatever it may be, there is someone in the past that has done what you want to do in spite of an obstacle similar to what you may now face. Colonel Sanders was an old man when he made his fortune. Don’t be discouraged. We live in an age where almost anything is possible.
Fear is something we allow. If we resist outside circumstances to enter into our mind we will have a better chance at achieving our goals.
Here is a recent post about what I am developing in my speaking career.
What do you fear the most? I want to hear your comments and how you struggle with fear and how you are working to overcome it.