On our most recent 48Days.net Virtual Community gathering we talked about tips on how to get the most out of attending a live event.
In a nutshell, here are some of the top 14 tips we talked about (the top 10 tips were taken from Dan's blog HERE):
- Make a list of 3 speakers you want to meet – Why? Have specific questions in advance.
- Attend with someone who is just as interested in learning as you are.
- Craft your Elevator Speech (1) Who you are (2) What you do (3) Why are you here?
- Have 50 sharp business cards – with your elevator speech printed on the back.
- Get to the meetings early and talk to other attendees. (Don’t try to talk to speakers 5 minutes before their presentations.
- Take 12 pre-stamped postcards to use as Thank Yous to people you meet. It will leave a major impression if they get a card from you by the time they get home.
- Create a list of notes and questions as you listen.
- Make at least two introductions per day between attendees you’ve just met. Remember, never eat alone. Look for opportunities to get to know people during meal times.
- Identify 5 new people you want to stay in touch with.
- Thank the speakers for sharing valuable insights.
- Offer to help out at an event - this is a great way to get connected further with the event coordinators and attendees.
- If you are a speaker, let event coordinators from around the area know you are speaking so they can see you speak in front of a live audience and/or have the option to book you for a staff training, etc. since you will be in the area anyways.
- Arrive early and/or stay late to make the most of your time in the area. Also gives you margin to plan things with other attendees if the opportunity arises.
- Use the flight time back home or block some time the next day to organize your notes and make a list of the top 1-5 action items you will do as a result of the conference.
- Have fun! Connect! Learn! Take Action!
What tips have worked for you?
On another note, here are some upcoming events that I highly recommend: