48Days.NET

I have been out of journalism for 7 1/2 years however my writing itch has caught up to me. I was a newspaper reporter during that time. I have a good paying full-time job now which has nothing to do with writing. However I would love to earn more money AS WELL AS write for a living, maybe even make my own schedule and not have a normal 9-5 job (I work shift work now). I thought about starting to edit copy on my own, like posting ads at community colleges and local colleges to edit papers. I have a keen eye to editing as I am always finding mistakes in newspapers. I don't know if this process would work or not and would only be on the side until I could move into a full-time writing business, either by publishing books or what not. I feel God has blessed me with writing talents which I am not using now and I would like to. Any thoughts?

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Why not sign up at Elance.com as well? You can start with a free account and bid on editing jobs - there are a lot of them that require A/P style guideline proficiency (I'm a CMS person and totally bombed with A/P style, even though I have a BA in Journalism). College papers / theses usually conform to APA (American Psychological Association) style guidelines, so bone up on this if you want to add college papers to your repertoire.

Hi Harold,

You can certainly make a job of editing and writing - but I'd advise to include in your plan a way to earn residual income... either from books, or some other materials. Also, it really helps to develop relationships with editors and publishers so you can start getting steady work. If you show a few key people in different organizations that you can write and edit well, you'll have better luck earning a solid living. Small, odd jobs like editing college papers may be a difficult way to earn significant money--unless you're working all the time.... or unless you set it up as a business and hire people to edit for you so can leverage their time.

Hope that's helpful! - And, welcome to the group! Glad to see you're jumping into the conversations right away!

Erin Casey

www.mywritersconnection.com

Thanks for the advice. It was just a thought. I'd really like to write like everyone else on this blog. So I'm trying to find my way to do it.

In addition, I'm trying to figure out what to write, who to write for and how to market it. Is it really all about just starting my own blog or is it a lot more/less? I am reading Jon Acuff's book "Quitter" and it is very inspiring.

I know I'm a little late, but the books The Well-fed Writer and The Well-fed Writer Back for Seconds by Peter Bowerman may be very helpful.  The books are like step-by-step guides to becoming a full-time freelance writer without starving.  Here is a link to a podcast interview he did discussing how he became a full-time commercial writer: http://www.wellfedwriter.com/podcast.shtml.  I own his book The Well-Fed Self-Publisher, which is fantastic (I have many dog-eared pages), and if the Well-Fed Writer books are anything like the Publisher book, the books will provide a myriad of actionable items to get you started.

Hope this help!

Happy Writing!

Beatrice

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Registration for Innovate is open for a limited time - go ahead and secure your spot at one of our events this year!
Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service