48Days.NET

Want to start a financial coaching business. Do I have enough knowledge?

I have been thinking of starting a financial coaching business. Sometimes I feel like I do not know enough to give someone the proper help. Maybe I am just being hard on myself. I am sure I know more than I think I do. I have no counselor type training or anything. I guess my only experience is hard knocks and all the stupid things I have done.

The hardest thing for me to do is get started. I wrote a blog for almost 3 months throughout the summer but stopped for a few months. Now I have been writing on my blog again.

There are certain aspects of financial coaching that I would be more interested in than others. I am more interested in helping people dump their debt and get out of debt. I am not as much interested in things that would come after that investing, college planning, ect.

Views: 2086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cool Ryan. By far, I'm not the expert at this, but I DO feel strongly that you are already well on your way to what you are passionate about. Keep digging Ryan, you are about to hit gold!

Absolutely, Ryan!  I address that in Become a Coach, obviously.

A good coach doesn't necessarily have special training or certifications.  They do have experience going through a situation or helping others, while being successful at it.  Of course, the training and certifications can help give you confidence so don't overlook that.

Get out there and do it!  I coached people for a long time before I realized I could actually make money at it.  Now it supports my family 100%.

I'm in the process of writing a financial advice book & I struggled with the whole "am I qualified" question, not being a financial expert & being the "poor man" Reid spoke about! But my approach is to share mine & other people's stories & leverage the expertise of others to highlight how they can avoid these missteps.

For you, make sure your coaching pinpoints the specific areas in which you excel, have a testimonial for, and a clear-cut path to help people. As long as you're upfront on what people will be getting (i.e. hand holding & butt kicking for sticking to a budget as opposed to high-flying stock tips), people will respect it & want to work with you!

Very good advice Toni.  I just finished writing my story tonight.  I came out honest about all the dumb things I have done.  It was recently posted here in the blog section.

Thank you for the encouraging words Rob.

I am interested in becoming a financial coach. Is there a group on 48 days?

My first boss told me "The only difference between you and an expert is the expert has slides"

The best way to learn something is to teach it, and as long as you have more knowledge than the people you are working with, you can probably help them.

I agree. I do lead the classes and have had great results with the students in the class. The first group I worked with (total of 7 families) paid off $53K in 9 weeks and saved an additional $9600 during the same time. I haven't charged anyone yet tho I do struggle with what/how to charge people when they are already having a hard time paying their bills.

RSS

LIVE EVENTS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Interested in the next step beyond this community - with more hands-on interaction with Dan and other 48 Days Mentors? Check out our new membership site!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2017   Created by Jon Dale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service