48Days.NET

When someone in our comapny gives their two week notice that they are leaving, my employer lets them go on the very next pay day, whether it's been two weeks or not. We get paid weekly. Based on this should I give notice when I leave for a new job in a couple months or just let them know on payday I'm not coming back?
Thanks

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great question Chris! This actually might be a question Dan would want to ask on the podcast...if you haven't already, please consider emailing it to him for the podcast at askDan@48Days.com.

I have, thanks Jen.

I would normally say give the 2 weeks notice out of courtesy, but here it sounds like you are shooting yourself in the foot by doing that.  Assuming you don't want to burn a bridge but know what is likely to happen, I would give notice the day after a pay day knowing that it's actually 1 week notice.  

Thanks Robert. Just leaving is burning the bridge. The people that have left since I've been there were told not to bother trying to come back.

Worked at a place like that.  Even worse they would sue you and your new company if they thought you were going to a competitor.  When I left I deliberately went to a market that they weren't involved in.  Just try to orchestrate the best exit you can.

Doesn't sound much like a place I would want to go back to anyways. I would probably do like John said and give notice the day after pay day. Or, if they are that unprofessional, I might think about just going home one day and not ever come back. I know, that's not exactly what one should do, but if you have already retained employment somewhere else, chances are they will be a bit more professional about it.  

Your industry may be different, but as you mentioned, two weeks is typically considered a minimum. However, knowing the history of how you will most likely be treated, you could mention to your future employer that you might be available a week or so earlier than planned. In any case, handle your departure in a professional manner and let the chips fall where they fall.

I would have to agree with Chet, Christopher. You may just have to let the chips fall where they will. You could indicate that while you feel a responsibility to give two weeks notice, you have noticed that the company tends to let people go who do that and simply add that you would be more than willing to stay on for the two weeks and help either choose or mentor the candidate that will be taking your place.

Yes, they may still let you go, however, any company that chooses not to take advantage of an employees loyalty is not a company worth worrying much about anyway. It may be a shame for you to lose the income but a bigger shame for them to lose the assistance.

Good Luck and whatever you decide just remember integrity never comes back to bite you in the long run.

Dan answered this on the latest podcast.

RSS

LIVE EVENTS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Interested in the next step beyond this community - with more hands-on interaction with Dan and other 48 Days Mentors? Check out our new membership site!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2017   Created by Jon Dale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service