I could be faced with having a job offer come in before I interview and/or receive another offer. If the first offer comes in and I need some time, what do I say?
Do I tell then I have other interviews? Do I just ask for some time to think it through? What is the proper etiquette?
I'm a recruiter and I deal with this all the time, on the other side of the table. I always appreciate it when the person is up front about considering other offers. So I would recommend you just tell the person you are considering other offers in addition to theirs. At this point, you should ask for however many days you think it will take to get the other offer in hand. End your request with asking if that time frame is acceptable to them. If they want you to take less time then you'll need to determine if you're willing to commit to the timeframe.
With that said, I would suggest you evaluate which of the two jobs you really want and what your exact salary expectation is for that job. If the offer you have now is for the job you want most and they are matching your salary expectation, why not just accept the job?
Hope that helps.
I like Adam's advice below.
I faced this same thing a short time ago and stressed out WAY too much about what do if I got both offers, if they were going to be timed right, what if they were 2 weeks apart, etc. These were things that were out of my control, yet I was worried about them. My advice, don't stress over it whatsoever. It is a good problem to have. Most importantly, it is about you, so don't feel guilty if you take a job and then have a outstanding offer for another. If you take one and then take the other, just know you are opening up a space for a person that really needs the other job.
Best of luck!
Live Beyond Awesome!
Thank you for all the advice. I should add that I am going for a teaching position that involves signing a contract...
does this muddy the waters a bit?
No I don't think so Brian. If you are clear on your criteria for accepting a job offer or not the contract shouldn't matter.
You will have to keep us updated. VERY exciting!!!
I agree with all that has been replied below. A few years ago I too was looking at several potential positions coming in at the same time. I really had to evaluate what it was I needed and most importantly what my family needed from me. Although one job had significantly more wages, it did not benefit my life goals. I took the lower paying job for the benefits to my family. Yes, asking for more time is a good way to go, if they really want you for that position they should be willing to wait a short time for you to consider all options.
Brian very excited for you and here is what I would state! Do let them know that you need to check with another opportunity and just make sure that you have found out what the offer is from the second place.
If you feel at all tempted to just accept the first one before you find out about the second I would tell you, Don't!
Be honest and just make sure you have all of your options out there before you make a decision!
Hope all goes well!