48Days.NET

Is the name of my product protected without an official  trademark. 

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This Is what I have heard fromn family, but If I where you I would look up uspto.gov to verify the information  

As soon as you start using your name officaly it is yours and no one can tell you not to use it as long as no one else has tradmarked it before you first use.

Now you can not stop anyone else from using it without a tradmark.

So it's mine if I used it first but I can't stop them from using it until I trademark it?  Is trademarking expensive?

Just to add my two cents into this discussion, I was told Unofficially by an attorney that purchasing the domain name for your product may stand up legally if someone else starts using your product name AFTER the website domain was purchased and a website featuring your product was created. So start a small website with the name of your product and that may provide some protection if you cannot provide a trademark at this time

Thanks very much. I do have the name as my domain.  I've checked into a trademark and am going to register it. I really wanted to get the product out there and see if there would be a response to it before I put too much money into it. 

Joe - your name is NOT protected until you do a trademark.  It's not complicated - just go to http://www.uspto.gov/ to see if someone has already trademarked the name you want.

Its not complicated.  It does cost about $300 per classification.  What is your product?

Thanks for the input. My product is how to videos for floor covering installation such as tile , carpet, wood, laminate , ect. . 

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service