48Days.NET

top page logo

Your place for community & resources to find or create work you love

We are so glad you're here and ready to take the next step! We created 48days.net as a place for community. For people to encourage each other and help each other in finding or creating work that is meaningful.

But frankly, we've outgrown it, so we're moving to provide you new resources.

48Days.net will be closing as it is today on November 30, 2017. Until then current members can click the button below to access groups and resources.

If you're new to 48days.net, connect here for a close up look at our thriving 48 Days Eagles Community and to get weekly free resources and motivation as you find and create work you love.

Hello everyone, my wife and I have a business idea we would like some input on.

We are starting screen printing business.  Rather than make custom shirts for choirs, churches, and small businesses, we want to make and sell our own designs.  We are currently deciding how to sell them.

We are going to sell them via ebay, etsy, amazon.com etc, but we also would like to sell them at a reduced price to vendors who would them resell them for their own profits.  Is this a viable idea or should we sell them all through our own resources?

This seems like a great community of supportive people, we don't want to screw this up, we would love some input.

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you go to vacation hotspots like Branson Missouri, among others, there are all kinds of shirt shacks along the tourist trap routes that would probably consider buying your shirts as a resller if the quality and the message/imagery is good?, they get tons of business during the summer vacation months! We have been to Branson quite often and you can't go into a gift/retail shop that doesnt sell some kind of custom tshirt. You could open your own small shop in one of these vacation hotspots, seems to be lots of open places available even with craft vendors that rent you a small space in a larger building with other craft vendors and take care of the sales for you and send you the income from your sales without even being present, they get lots of visitors during the summer months with people just out to spend money on something while on vacation.
Thanks for the input, do you think the lower profit margins outweigh the fact that I have a possibility to sell more units?
Possibly, perhaps you could visit a craft mall sometime where they might have several vendors and ask the owner/host of the craft mall for contact information for some of the vendors that sell similar items to what you are going to sell and then ask some questions of that vendor, they may have thier items in tshirt shops and craft maalls all over various states and can give you some idea of the profit potential doing it this way and some idea of how large this could get with product placement for you? Sometimes when visiting craft malls the contact information is in the vendors booth along with a phone number you can call to ask questions or place a special order?

I would likely recommend that you set up an affiliate program. Doing so will allow you to market to Alumni Associations, Booster Organizations and others.

They sell the shirts and you give their organization a cut from the profit. IT quickly places boots on the ground selling your merchandise without you having to hire sales people.

Terry

http://RealBusinessSolutionCenter.com

That is a great idea that I hadn't thought of.  I was thinking initially setting up partnerships with kiosk owners at malls around our city as well as indie clothing boutiques, do you think I should add your suggestion to my plans or is that overkill.  Is there even such a thing as over-marketing in the start-up phase of a business?

Your business plan is your roadmap. It outlines your product, operations and the various ways you wish to market. The business plan will help you keep on track as you move forward.

I generally recommend that business owners revisit theor business plan often but never less than once annually. It is certainly reasonable to include multiple marketing initiatives in your plan.

If you decide to move forward with a booster/affiliate program let me know. I would be happy to collaborate.

Terry

http://RealBusinessSolutionCenter.com

Hi,

I've been in and around the textile printing business for many years, having designed graments for Hanes, Champion, VF, and others. I've put some of my designs up on CafePress (here's an example: www.cafepress.com/WeRemember911) but that's more of a hobby than work. The difficulty with a screen printing business is that you need lots of volume. Margins on individual shirts are typically low (especially when competing with overseas operations). And places like CafePress have made individual shirts designed by non-professionals affordable and feasible with almost unlimited designs available. So the bottom line is that this is a VERY tough business these days.

As with most things, marketing is key. The t-shirt marketplace is very noisy and it's tough to cut through that noise. You might get lucky and hit with a design (like "Life is Good") in which case you virtually have it made, but otherwise, it's very tough. Specializing in a niche helps (ie: Designs for Moms. Designs for Churches & Churchfolk. Designs for Fitness). A website and Facebook are easy outlets and then you have the same problem as everyone else (driving traffic in). Some people travel to street fairs and shows, selling individual shirts. This can take off but is slow going at first. Lot's of work for little return. But it can get the designs out there and if they're good enough, word of mouth with drive traffic.

eBay is a poor outlet for sales. By definition people think of it as discounted merchandise, so they are willing to pay even less than normal. etsy is good for single items which means you put a lot of work into a very small profit. I don't think people go to Amazon for shirts. These are all tough outlets for sales. Most people buy screen printed garments mail order or from retail outlets.

My bottom line would be do hold off on all overhead and put your designs on CafePress and Zazzle and see if the designs sell. That's a good way to "test market" them for virtually no money. If the take off (the likes of Life is Good) then go into business and work on the marketing and licensing, but otherwise save a lot of money going into a very tough business (made tougher by this economy). Consider writing Dan also for his advice on this (on his podcast). Good luck.

Thanks for you input, I think we have identified some unique niches we are exploring.  we will take your ideas into consideration

Tyler,

Depending on the niches you are looking at, you might consider Dye Sublimation printing. It's fairly inexpensive to get into now, the technology has really come along, it's not messy and doesn't require much space, and you can do short runs (even 1 shirt) with full color. Look up a trade publication called Printwear and find out where the nearest Printwear show is to you and they'll have lots of dye sub vendors there with the latest equipment. Good luck.

A note on amazon, they currently are not allowing new clothing vendors to sell through their website.  I was going to market test a few shirts online there to validate the idea/brand before making a china order and found out they were closed to new vendors in that catagory.  However who knows when and if they will change that policy. 

Good luck.

Aloha,

I looked into Zazzle and Cafe Press and like what they are doing. However, are they putting on the custom care tag or is it the generic Haynes tag? I looked at this option but I did not want to compromise quality. I think that as a custom brand, if you skimp on quality in the beginning, people will not want to revisit your brand. Furthermore, you lose your niche or target market.

Thanks for the tip on Amazon.com. I looked into putting my clothing in their site and it's great to know that they are not taking any products from new vendors.

I believe that you can start small and keep reinvesting the profits in the business. I plan to do that. Although it may take some time to grow the business, it'll be MY business and I'll
be doing something that I love.

Sincerely,

Hoku Keamoai

Hi

I know that on eBay, people do sell to vendors like that and advertise it as a "LOT" in the eBay ad.  For example: dog leashes, 50 leashes per LOT - or Wholesale LOT - something like that (you would have to look on there and see).   The word LOT is usually capitalized in the title - I guess so it stands out.

When I used to buy dog related products as a vendor, I used to just type in "dog LOT" or even just "Wholesale LOT" in the search feature to see only the reduced price vendor type items.  So you may want to consider making sure on eBay you put "LOT or Wholesale LOT" in the headline for search purposes for the vendor items.  Many vendors just type in those terms for their search on eBay,

Mary

RSS

Coaching Mastery Program

Interested in being a 48 Days Certified Coach?  Check out our elite program here:

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Interested in the next step beyond this community - with more hands-on interaction with Dan and other 48 Days Mentors? Check out our new membership site!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2017   Created by Jon Dale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service