48Days.NET

top page logo

Your place for community & resources to find or create work you love

We are so glad you're here and ready to take the next step! We created 48days.net as a place for community. For people to encourage each other and help each other in finding or creating work that is meaningful.

But frankly, we've outgrown it, so we're moving to provide you new resources.

48Days.net will be closing as it is today on November 30, 2017. Until then current members can click the button below to access groups and resources.

If you're new to 48days.net, connect here for a close up look at our thriving 48 Days Eagles Community and to get weekly free resources and motivation as you find and create work you love.

I need help and/or direction with creating a cross-referenced database.

Current situation: Customer brings in a part # and/or description and we spend 20-30 minutes looking through physical line cards for the cross-reference formula. 

All of the data is available, but on physical line cards.

Desired situation: Have a searchable database whereby the part# or description can be entered and the cross-reference formula be immediately available.

I am thinking there are better programs for this than the typical spreadsheet.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Nathan

This is a classic database problem.  You can build one in Microsoft Office with Access starting with an Excel Spreadsheet. OpenOffice has a free application called BASE that you can download and use which has very powerful search functions. https://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html  

I suggest approaching a local community college or even a high school computer science teacher.  This would be a great student project that they could get credit for while you get them to do all the data entry (which I think will be the most time consuming part of you project).

If you need more information you can reach me at lee@leeflint.com.

Lee

Thank you, Lee!  

I will check that out.

This is a classic Excel spreadsheet application -- I'd stick with a spreadsheet solution. Find someone who knows Excel and they can set it up for you. And the great thing about Excel is it's easy to find examples on the internet should you decide to add features or have questions down the road.  

RSS

Coaching Mastery Program

Interested in being a 48 Days Certified Coach?  Check out our elite program here:

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Interested in the next step beyond this community - with more hands-on interaction with Dan and other 48 Days Mentors? Check out our new membership site!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2017   Created by Jon Dale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service