I work for a company I don't like, our plan was for me to stay working there till my wife is done with her associates degree in nursing and goes to work full time as a nurse. Then I would start making income from home by starting an online plan business and building kids play houses.
It is another 8 to 10 months before she will be finished and get a full time job. With her working part time and me staying at home we have 4 months worth of expenses saved up right now. What i am struggling with is , do i play it safe and stay until I can see our future a little clearer ( play it safe ) or do I take a leap of faith and believe I will make it. What does everyone think
I would stay where I was right now, and work on the other business interests on the side, while patiently waiting on my wife to get her job. There is no guarantee that she gets a job just because she gets a degree, so jumping prematurely could be really irresponsible. Some people just jump out there and call it a leap of faith. I think it is just crazy and poor planning or a lack of patience. Just my opinion. If you were single and jumped and you were the only one affected by it, I might not have as much problem with it myself, but if you have a wife and/or kids, that's just not right, again in my opinion. Now, if you've got your business ideas going and making good money on the side and you have reason to believe that the extra hours invested by quitting your day job would increase the income enough to make it or even make more than you do now, then you have something to put faith in. Jumping without anything working already is blind faith, and I'd rather have faith based on something other than a dream if I was going to use it to jump. Dave Ramsey often refers to waiting until the boat is closer to the dock to jump, otherwise you will get all wet.
Thanks Michael, You are right I should wait for the boat to get closer. My job environment just seems unbearable sometimes and is pushing me harder and harder out the door.
I'd like to rephrase your question changing it from, 'Do I play it safe or take a leap of faith?'
When you look forward in this fashion, you're limiting yourself to, "Should I get READY, or FIRE?"
To that question, I'd say...neither. You're ready, and you know what you want to do, but it's too soon to pull the trigger...so, instead of doing nothing, you could "AIM."
Use the winter time to prepare, and get ready for the next big playhouse season. If you line up enough work, you can eliminate the risk of quitting completely. If you quit now, you're leaping on a dream, but if you have pre-orders lined up, you could leap into a situation where you are three months back-ordered.