48Days.NET

I'm a novelist trying to spend my meager marketing resources wisely.  Instead of paying for a professional website, I've used Wordpress and really tried to make my website pop.  I'd love some feedback on the site and suggestions on how to improve it.  If anyone knows of any great WP widgets or plugins that would complement my site, I'd love to hear about those too.  

Thanks in advance for your help!
Edward D. Casey

Tags: critique, improvement, marketing, website, wordpress, writer's

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

Ted,

I'm new around here but I've been working with WordPress for quite a while and I've got a couple of suggestions to offer. I think you've go a great looking site looking site. I really like the neat effect in your navigation photos. First you might want to change the way your site creates links. Login as a admin and go to Settings -> Permalinks and select the "Day and name" option. This puts more keywords in your URLs and helps you optimize for SEO.

There are a lot of SEO optimization plugins for WordPress but I'd recommend the All in One SEO Pack plugin. It's a little more automated than other SEO plugins, but still allows you to fine tune everything.

I'd also remove the first couple of welcome lines on the front page. You typically have only a few seconds to to hook the customer on the web and you don't want to add to much unnecessary text on the page to wade through to get to your action steps.

I'm looking forward to finding out how your site does. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Thanks!

Collin
bluezoowebsites.com | socialmediarevolutionary.com
Collin, thanks for the tip. I have implemented and have already seen some benefits! Thanks again, Ted

Collin said:
Ted,

First you might want to change the way your site creates links. Login as a admin and go to Settings -> Permalinks and select the "Day and name" option. This puts more keywords in your URLs and helps you optimize for SEO.
Hi Ted, Great discussion you've got going here. Hope this isn't off-topic, but I would encourage you to be clear, and not short-sighted about the purpose of your blog. Will this blog be used solely for the purpose of promoting your book? If the purpose of your blog is to connect with readers and develop a community, you will likely approach your posts differently. The question "how can I promote my book?" will likely lead you to a different result than asking "how can I promote my book AND connect...?" You can use your blog and social media to promote your book, but readers who resonate with your books will appreciate having a place where they can go to "find you" (learn about and connect with you). :) Hope this helps!

Do you know about helpareporter.com? You can enter a press release there.

Best!

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Registration for Innovate is open for a limited time - go ahead and secure your spot at one of our events this year!
Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service