48Days.NET

I've been silent on here for a while, but recently I've been given the opportunity to go back to school and I need some help. Basically, I want to talk to somebody about which major to take and how to narrow down career choices. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I need to lay out the steps to get there. Do I just go to the local college and ask to talk to a counselor? Somebody told me that there are online options for this as well, which would be a lot more convenient. Any thoughts?

I'm 35 years old, so not exactly just out of High School...

Thank you!

Views: 437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, it's January 2017 and just last week I got acceptance letters from two of the three Universities I applied to. I'm waiting for the third one. Good news there. So far I still have options for graduate school later, whether it be Vet Med, Marine Biology, or something else. I'm still on track for any of these options. I'm going to check out a few more details about the schools and then make a decision. I also have the option of going to school in Europe, but I feel I should probably wait until I've got at least my Bachelor's degree first to keep the process more 'clean'. I don't see how transferring right now would be the best option. I am looking into it though, since my family really wants me to go over there and I am open to it.

Hi Christina, Congratulations on knowing that you need to make a change.

I'm reading this now and saw that the post is over two years old. How has the process been for you?

If you can't afford to hire a coach, definitely follow the steps in "48 Days to the Work you Love."

Sincerely,

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

The process has been lengthy and with mixed emotions. 

I'm excited about school and making progress. I've been taking classes at the local Community College in preparation for transferring to a University and that has gone really well. I'm now at the point that it's time to transfer, so that's what I'm working on. I have a Science Tour at one of the Universities Friday and a regular Tour at the other one in 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to getting a better feel for both schools to see which might be best for me. I've also spoken to a couple of professors to make sure I know the best way to select the right school considering my future plans. The mixed emotions have been due to a number of things, but all on my end. The schools in Germany that I've seen have excellent Marine Biology type programs so that's the direction I'm leaning, but as I said, the path I take will allow for any of my options still, since they're all in the Biology direction. I appreciate the interest!

Chris

That's exciting Christina!

The book 48 Days to the work you love does a great job walking you through the process. I also have a blog post that I wrote for one of my husband's cousins who's in a similar situation. You might find it helpful. http://www.hollyscherer.com/calling/

Let me know if you have any questions! Best of luck on your new adventure!

Update again!

I've been accepted to all of the school I applied to and received partial scholarships for them as well. I have narrowed it down to two and will be making a final decision in the next two weeks! I continue to be at the top of my class so I think I found my groove. 

Interestingly, I'm about to be freed from my job that I should have left 5 years ago... So that will be interesting! 

Life is good. 

Christina,

I like that you are trying different approaches to learning what best steps to take to get to your goals. If you feel that individual coaching is not something you can afford, I would at least look into talking with counselors at various locations you might consider attending. You get a feel for both the school and the strength of the counselling dept doing that.

Keep in mind some college counselling depts. are not much more than places you can pick up brochures etc. while others will offer a range of services from individual aptitude testing to outplacement services.

Either way, if you know what you want to be doing in order to earn an income, I would think any reputable school could help you lay out the protocal to reach your goal.

Good Luck. Let us know who you talked with and what you decided to do.

Thank you, Kathy! 

Alright, I am going to UT Arlington starting in the fall. I have an appointment with my adviser Friday and I'm finishing up my classes before I transfer. Very excited.

RSS

Coaching Mastery Program

Interested in being a 48 Days Certified Coach?  Check out our elite program here:

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Interested in the next step beyond this community - with more hands-on interaction with Dan and other 48 Days Mentors? Check out our new membership site!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2017   Created by Jon Dale.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service