I've been silent on here for a while, but recently I've been given the opportunity to go back to school and I need some help. Basically, I want to talk to somebody about which major to take and how to narrow down career choices. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I need to lay out the steps to get there. Do I just go to the local college and ask to talk to a counselor? Somebody told me that there are online options for this as well, which would be a lot more convenient. Any thoughts?
I'm 35 years old, so not exactly just out of High School...
Well, it's January 2017 and just last week I got acceptance letters from two of the three Universities I applied to. I'm waiting for the third one. Good news there. So far I still have options for graduate school later, whether it be Vet Med, Marine Biology, or something else. I'm still on track for any of these options. I'm going to check out a few more details about the schools and then make a decision. I also have the option of going to school in Europe, but I feel I should probably wait until I've got at least my Bachelor's degree first to keep the process more 'clean'. I don't see how transferring right now would be the best option. I am looking into it though, since my family really wants me to go over there and I am open to it.
Hi Christina, Congratulations on knowing that you need to make a change.
I'm reading this now and saw that the post is over two years old. How has the process been for you?
If you can't afford to hire a coach, definitely follow the steps in "48 Days to the Work you Love."
The process has been lengthy and with mixed emotions.
I'm excited about school and making progress. I've been taking classes at the local Community College in preparation for transferring to a University and that has gone really well. I'm now at the point that it's time to transfer, so that's what I'm working on. I have a Science Tour at one of the Universities Friday and a regular Tour at the other one in 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to getting a better feel for both schools to see which might be best for me. I've also spoken to a couple of professors to make sure I know the best way to select the right school considering my future plans. The mixed emotions have been due to a number of things, but all on my end. The schools in Germany that I've seen have excellent Marine Biology type programs so that's the direction I'm leaning, but as I said, the path I take will allow for any of my options still, since they're all in the Biology direction. I appreciate the interest!
That's exciting Christina!
The book 48 Days to the work you love does a great job walking you through the process. I also have a blog post that I wrote for one of my husband's cousins who's in a similar situation. You might find it helpful. http://www.hollyscherer.com/calling/
Let me know if you have any questions! Best of luck on your new adventure!