48Days.NET

I would like to make money by blogging,but I have no idea how to get started any  suggestions or ideas would be very helpful. Thanks Karen

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Karen, 

I started blogging back in 2007 for fun. Now companies pay me to write blog posts for them. If you want to make money blogging there are 2 ways:

1. Create your own blog and try to build a huge following. Then you can sell ad space, sell affiliate products or products of your own.

2. Sell your blogging services (like I do).

Either way you will need to be an expert at blogging. So if you don't have your own blog I'd suggest starting one (whether you want to build a huge following or not). Doing is the best way to learn.

Then you can reach out to companies who you think would benefit from your services (this is option #2). Decide how much you will charge per post (I suggest charging at least $50 per post). And if they ask for samples be prepared to direct them to your online portfolio (yes, you need a website to showcase your writing). 

I can tell you there is a huge demand for quality blog writers out there. Blogging is a form of content marketing and it can help with SEO. But it can also take a lot of time (especially if research is involved).

Feel free to ask me questions.

All the best,

Josh

Thanks for the information Josh. I would love to start my own blog I  just don't have any idea what to blog about. I have been thinking about it for a while the idea just hasn't come to me yet.

My pleasure. Here's how I decided...

First, I grabbed a pen and a notebook. Then I sat in my comfy chair (I may or may not have been drinking chai). After this I proceeded to write (scribble would be more appropriate) a list of all the topics that interested me.

Then I wrote potential blog post ideas for each category.

After this brainstorming session I thought of names for my new blogs. My first 2 blogs were called "Kingdom Steward" and "Beyond Cliches." I've pretty much quit the Kingdom Steward one (at least for now) but I still blog on beyondcliches.com. 

Oh and one more thing you MUST do...have fun. ;) 

Karen,

You may find that 750words.com will be a good place for you to start to write/blog. It's a site that is dedicated to helping people be accountable to write each day. It's fun, and you'll easily see how it can assist you. I often use 750words.com to write two blogs and then paste them in 48days. (Now, my secret is out!!) I kill two birds with one stone.

I read this tip for starting a conversation with a person you are meeting for the first time. Use the A, B, C's. 

You could talk about A (animals, if you are a pet lover)/B-bowling if that is your sport of choice/C-cooking or Cities you've been to if that interest you/D-dog lover/E -- entertainer you may enjoy/Fishing, etc. you get it.....

You've worked in a factory in the middle of the USA for over 30 years.....I'm sure you have some day-to-day stories that wouldn't incriminate you or your co-workers that would be fun to share!

Have fun, and don't fry your brain thinking. Ideas will come. Welcome to 48days. 

Hope this helps you. 

In General to be successful here are the five steps you have to follow, I am intentionally being very high level.

1. You have to pick something you are passionate about / and or have plenty to say.

2. Once you have the topic you will have to decide on where to host your blog. **More on this below

3. Once you have picked you hosting location and have set that up start blogging.

4. One method of making money blogging is the use of affiliate links or product reviews.  You can search for products or services that fit within your topic and generally generate commissions.  **More on this below

5. Stay disciplined write frequently and let the world know your content is out there.

2cont- I was purposely vague on hosting as there are many ways to skin the cat and the cost can range from Free to 20bux / month (or more).  On the hosting you will have to decide if you would like to just have a go on one of the free blogging platforms like blogger.com or wordpress.com.  Both of these free options require no more than the time it takes to sign up.  The other and more expensive route would be to pick a domain name and sign up for a hosting plan with a hosting provider.  Going this path would take 20-50bux to get started and a nominal fee / month.  Keep in mind there are many other methods I have only named 2.

4cont- Affiliate links and product reviews.  Depending on your blogging topic of choice will depend on what options there are for monetizing your blog.  Generally it is best to start the blog and get a few posts under your belt, at that point in time start putting a plan together for monetizing.  This is usually recommended as some of the more successful money generating blogs, blogging was first priority and money the second.  Also, remember, you can be the best sales person in the world, but if no one is following your blog who would you sell to?

I am actually working on a site to address the questions you are asking, I have found that many people have the same questions you do.  My site is a few weeks from being ready, but if you need more help let me know I am happy to pass on anything I can.

You're not alone, Karen. I write mostly about that at http://coachradio.tv for free and specifically about blogging at http://needatopic.com.

Let me know in the comments there if you have questions.

Here's specifically how I'm making money as a blogger.

http://www.coachradio.tv/how-i-make-money-blogging

You have gotten some good answers. Let me just add my perspective.

If you want to make money blogging, you either need to sell products or services. The products can be your own or they can be affiliate links or you can ship products made by other people. As far as services, that could include blogging for companies, tuning pianos, mending drive axles, or whatever it is you do.

There are several excellent sites about professional blogging including problogger.com

Of course there is the technical side of getting set up too. Lots of people use Wordpress and love it. You probably don't need to look any further than that unless you have really special needs. I use Drupal, but don't recommend it unless you have a background in web services or want to learn tech stuff.

To make money with ads, you have to have a very, very large audience or a very high value audience where your readers are potentially high paying customers.

Blogging is a fun world that offers a lot of potential. Most people don't ever make anything to speak of, but even lots of them have a lot of fun with it. A few people make a decent living at it and a very, very few actually make six figures.

Jump in and have fun. Don't buy services except maybe inexpensive webhosting or a domain name. Just start writing and figuring out how it all works. You may have several blogs over the years, even running more than one at the same time. You don't have to get it right the first time.

Hey Karen! I'm a full-time internet marketer. The singe most important thing you can do is start blogging. Just start. Don't worry about hitting the ball out of the park just yet. Start a blogger blog or a WordPress blog or a Posterous blog. Start blogging. Start commenting on other blogs adn getting people to come to your blog. Learn the process. Especially learn to build traffic. As you do this, you'll figure out what you really like to communicate about. 

RSS

Check it out!

Follow 48 Days:

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

Weekly Podcast

Hosted by Dan Miller

Good stuff from 48days

Check out Dan's 
daily blog and 
free worksheets
Get the 48 Days App!

Have a question or want to connect? Enter in some keywords here to see what we're already saying!

© 2014   Created by Jon Dale.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service